Friday 19 April 2024

Eurovision 2024: The First Impression: Azerbaijan

 

First Thoughts:

I have to admit that I do not remember a country being so low-key in Eurovision like Azerbaijan is in the last two years.

I do get the sense that they do not care about Eurovision at all. 

There is no PR, no promo tours and everything is on auto-pilot until they get tired and withdraw.

'Özünlə Apar' is a very weak attempt to create an entry with Azerbaijani traditional music elements present. 

It is not a bad song but it feels like something that was made in a hurry. Its main problem is that there is no audience for this particular entry.

It is very middle on the road without a call for action. I would be more surprised to see Azerbaijan qualifying than finishing last in Semi - Final.


It reminds me of...

Armenia '18 (NQ)


Televoting Potential: 5/10

Jury Potential: 6/10

Staging Potential: 5/10

Momentum: 3/10

My Opinion: 6/10

Total: 25/50


What the fair winning chance % would be?

0.0001%

Best case scenario:

Qualifying to the Final

Worst case scenario:

Last in Semi - Final

Pre-Contest estimated points:

SF: 5-35

Final: Js: 10-20 - TV: 10-20- Total: 20-40


What do I see in my crystal ball?

Azerbaijan getting on the first plane back to Baku on Wednesday morning. Not the worst song in the Semi - Final but most probably the one with the smallest target group. 

Would be a worthy fun bet for Last Place in Semi - Final if that market is available somewhere.


You can hear my thoughts about Azerbaijan in the Eurovision podcast 'Talk About Things'  co-hosted with the Eurovision experts @mat_rickard and  @Panos_Zannettos at

Apple Podcasts

Spotify

No comments:

Post a Comment