Monday 18 March 2024

Eurovision 2024: The First Impression: Greece

 

First Thoughts:

It is always tough to write about Greece's entry being Greek myself but will try anyway. 

When ERT announced that Marina Satti will be the artist that will represent Greece I knew they were taking a risk, throwing a dice (=Zari).



Satti is the first 'big name' coming to Eurovision for Greece since Agathonas in 2013 and the reason I mention that is because I think that Zari was mostly made to bring the Greek diaspora back that was the main moving factor behind the Greek success back in the '00s.

Zari blends the Balkan tallava with the South American vibes, Bollywood rhymes and some trap to create a unique blend that could be perceived and it is very experimental but authentic as well. It is a party song that is made for the stage. 

It remains to be seen how the non Balkan ears will react to it and if they will like it enough to secure a Top-10 televote spot, maybe a bit higher.

The main concern is how and if Juries will accept this one. There is a very specific number of Juries that could award Zari ( Cyprus, Serbia, Moldova, Albania, Armenia, Georgia, Croatia, Azerbaijan, Israel) and I would not be surprised if Greece scores 0 points with all the other Juries.

Having that in mind, considering Greece among the contenders is more of  wishful thinking from the Greek media that found something to keep them busy for the next two months. Its odds are very short at the moment.

A Top-10 result is not out of the question if Greece could finish 7th or higher with the Televote and this  is a tough ask this packed year.

Personally, I am excited that Zari represents Greece  and I will be happy no matter what happens in May. 


It reminds me of...

Spain '08


Televoting Potential: 8/10

Jury Potential: 6/10

Staging Potential: 9/10

Momentum: 6/10

My Opinion: 10/10

Total: 39/50


What the fair winning chance % would be?

.1%-1%

Best case scenario:

Top-6

Worst case scenario:

16th-20th

Pre-Contest estimated points:

SF: 75-100

Final: Js: 25-75 - TV: 75-200 - Total: 100-275


What do I see in my crystal ball?

Zari is made for the live show so we need to see if this one will blossom in May. Could go both ways and I choose to stay right in the middle with a 9th place.

No comments:

Post a Comment